Phyllis Cram’s excellent book “Parish Pump to Parish Present” includes a representation of Sandford’s “Lost” memorial plaque. This shows “R. Dudden” as fallen. The Winscombe Cross and Tryptych both show “A. Dudden”.
From the Parish Council records it is clear that the Sandford memorial had become dilapidated enough by 1944 so that they moved that the “Framed memorial be repaired and the names re-written”. It was possibly then that the “A” was transposed to the “R” which appears on the extant recreation of the, now lost, Sandford memorial.